8.05.2008

Hearing from God

I've learned over the years that hearing from God is never easy, but it is always necessary. Right now I'm struggling with hearing the voice of God concerning matters that have been laid before me. What do I do? Where do I turn? Which direction should I pursue? These are often the questions that you deal with in your mind when your faced with discerning God's will. So, as I wrestle with these types of questions I reminded to resort back to the things that I know that are tried and true and have helped me in the past. I have gleaned some wisdom from an old Puritan truth and from the study, Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God. When your seeking to know God's will go to these sources:

1. The Word of God

2. Inward impressions upon our spirit by the Holy Spirit (through prayer)

3. God's providence (His work in circumstances)

4. Godly counsel

5. Wisdom -- redeemed wisdom like the wisdom found in Proverbs (rather than the wisdom of the world; i.e. "pro's and con's)

When you filter these sources through your decision making, most often the direction becomes clear. This is where I'm parked right now. Listening, watching, waiting, and depending on God's providential direction to follow His will.

So, if your struggling with making a tough decision, think about these sources to help guide you on your way. Pray for me as I work through hearing from God, and let me know if I can pray for you as your seeking God's Divine direction and will at this time. A dear and loyal friend shared this Scripture with me today; it blessed me so much that I want to pass it along to you. I pray that it might offer you hope and direction in your life today.

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isa. 30:21

No comments: