10.15.2008

Legacy

How important is a legacy? What legacy are you leaving behind? I was reminded this week of something that had been handed down through generations in my family -- faith. I found out that a man who sailed with William Penn (the founder of PA) in 1682 on the ship "Welcome", 9 generations before I was born, was my great x8 grandfather, Thomas Fitzwater. Thomas came by faith to America to help establish (birth) a colony where religious freedom would be established and given to every person who has lived in Pennsylvania up until now. In his quest to follow this call he sacrificed much. Thomas Fitzwater lost his wife (Mary) and 2 children to small pox on the 2 month journey from England. And, even in through these losses, he persevered to establish a town (Fitzwatertown), become a writer to the Frame of Government of PA (the document that declared PA. a colony), start-up a Limestone Kiln business (which is quite probable that his product was used to build Independence Hall), serve as a member of the 1st Assembly (House) of Pennsylvania, and also serve his community as a minister to his fellow Quakers. Through receiving this information I realized that he not only did this for his family, but for the future for all that would follow after him. His legacy left an indelible impact in PA. and throughout his family for generations to come. I realized in hearing about this man that the DNA of our family as it started life in the new America, was forged and built on faith and freedom in Christ. Today this legacy helps inspire me to build on that which was provided for me 9 generations ago. It's now my turn, and that of my children, to pass on to the next generation this same legacy of faith and freedom in Christ. I can only believe that my grandfather (9 generations ago) experienced persecution for his faith and beliefs as he tried to raise a family under the watch of the Crown and the State Church of England. This perhaps was the defining moment that led him to pursue a new life, and to build a life of faith and freedom that could be passed down for generations to come. I am a product of his faith, and I've found the freedom in Christ that he sacrificed much for. What about you? What are you leaving behind, or better yet, what has been left behind that you now must carry the torch for those who come behind you? Thomas Fitzwater's legacy is still felt today; hundreds if not thousands of his own family have come to faith in Christ, and an elementary school (Thomas Fitzwater Elementary School) in Bucks County PA is named after this noble, faithful, and godly man. If you haven't thought about your legacy, I'd encourage you to think about it, the faith of generations that follow you may be determined by what you leave behind.

No comments: