3.11.2009

Storms

I've learned lately that storms in life can be very good. I was at my
dentist yesterday and we were reviewing my latest surgical procedure that I endured. When he asked me how I was doing I told him great, the whole situation turned out to be the "perfect storm" in my life. Although I hated having a surgical procedure done on me, the outcome couldn't have been any better. Going through this season and enduring this storm has almost ended up in perfection. First, let me say I'm grateful to God for all He has done the last 6 weeks of my life; He has been gracious to me. Why I chose to call this a "perfect storm" is because of the bunch of good things has happened since I was diagnosed with a large cyst that had to be removed from my jaw. Through recovery, a changed diet (very soft), exercising, and developing better eating habits I've been able to lose 23 pounds and gain some extraordinary energy that I didn't know existed. And, I'm praying that as a result of weight loss, dieting, and exercise I may be able to throw away the dreaded cholesterol medicine that I've been on for 7 years. In January I didn't know what good was going to come out of all that I was going to face, but today I recognize and praise God for His promise that "all things work together for good to those who love God (Rom. 8:28)." I now see the value of a perfect storm blowing in and out of our lives. Sometimes we need something to take place to sail us on to a new and refreshing destination in life.

What I learned from this in the last 6 weeks is this; when things look bad (and you're feeling bad) it doesn't always mean that it is going to last or get worse. Actually it may be the opposite. Sometimes something has to be purged or pruned to give new energy and life. My experience has brought this to me at this time. When it all took place, I couldn't see the horizon because I was in the midst of the storm. But as I rode out the storm with God, He moved me into a position that allowed me to experience refreshment, vigor, and a new perspective on life. So, here is some advice. When it all feels like it is tumbling in around you, hold on to the promises that God has given you, ride it out with Him to the end. If you do, you might experience the "perfect storm" your life needs at that time. Storms aren't bad at all, they are many times useful to blow in new and fresh things. I pray the next time you're caught in a storm, you'll hold on and wait for the Master to show you a new horizon in your life.

1 comment:

Pam said...

"So tell me whats a little rain?
Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain"

Thanks for sharing. Your words always come when needed and are inspiring. Love you!